Friday, December 02, 2005

A Rankin & Bass Christmas Tragedy

Attention: DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES LET YOUR CHILDREN WATCH THIS MOVIE!!! DEARGODTHEHORROR!!!!

This thing is on TV tonight and consider yourself forewarned. It made my brothers and me so hysterical when it first came out in the 70s that we couldn't stop crying, and had nightmares for weeks, and for years afterwards, every time we saw a donkey, real or no, we would have severe sorrow flashbacks. My mother just called to warn me, so that I wouldn't accidentally run across it while cycling the channels.

Why? Because Nestor's freaking mother curls around him in a snowstorm and FREEZES TO DEATH, but he stays alive because she kept him warm, and in the morning she's this tragic little snow mound and he crawls out and tries to nose her awake and gradually realizes, and calls plaintively to her... and... and...

I can't go on. But I think people/other creatures are mean to him too, for his long ears! In a Christmas movie!!!

It's absolutely the most agonizing dead-mother-animal scene in any children's movie, bar none. View at your own risk. Keep away from children. Seriously.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will take your word for it. I am crying at absolutely everything these days, even things that are so incredibly stupid that I should be weeping at the amount of time I've wasted watching them as opposed to crying at the not-really-tragic plotlines.

Also, the scene in The Music Man, where Opie gets his trumpet, or clarinet, or whatever the hell he gets? I bawl my eyes out, every freaking time.

4:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh man-- I have never heard of this story (but then television was strictly limited when I was a kid-- althougth I WAS traumatized byt he child knapper in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang)-- what IS it with movie makers always wanting to kill off the mothers and wives at the beginning of movies?

~bluepoppy

5:24 PM  
Blogger Tracy Lynn said...

I totally felt the same way after Bambi. And the Lion King. Good grief! Where are all the people who complain about violence in movies when this stuff comes out?

6:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My, what a chaste weather pixie you have!

12:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home