Monday, November 21, 2005

Stay Tuned...

I'll be out of town from Tuesday until Sunday, and I'm not sure if Andy's Aunt Bev and Uncle Joe in Longs, South Carolina (Myrtle Beach, essentially) have a computer. So I may be out of commission until next week.

As I've worked my manic way through the past few days, I've missed my online friends, and I've missed blogging. It's, like, totally necessary to my life now.

When I was in second grade, I got a diary for my birthday. After about a month of obsessively writing down every item of food I ate for every meal, and occasionally writing a line or two about my goofy and/or annoying little brothers, I gave up. My life was simply too boring.

But my little 7 year old self felt terribly guilty about deserting my diary. I firmly believed in the interior lives of inanimate objects, you see. And there it sat on my desk, silently accusing me of abandoning it, when all it wanted was to fulfill its purpose, and, of course, to be my friend. How could I be so callous?

So, in February, I took it up again. But to explain my absence of several months, I made up a lie. That's right: I LIED TO MY DIARY. I explained that I had been to visit my sick aunt in Canada, and I had forgotten to bring along my much beloved diary. I hoped very much that this would soothe my diary's wounded feelings.

Don't ask me how I thought I was fooling it, when it had been there on my desk the whole time, and was fully aware that I spent those months at home, as per usual.

Eventually, of course, the monotony of my little life, rounded with a sleep, once again got the better of me, and I abandoned the diary for good. But I still have it. And every once in a while, I take it out, and crack up at that 7 year old self so riddled with guilt that I would make up an utterly preposterous lie. It's good readin'! And, now that I think about it, it gives one a pretty good idea of how I conducted many facets of my life thereafter. Up until now, of course.

Needless to say, after that early, negative, initial experience with diaries, even though my life has been considerably less boring ever since I turned 17, I've been reluctant to try my hand at the genre again.

Well, internets, you've changed all that for me. Blogging has enriched my life. And so, I just have to say, {Golden Girls} thank you for being a friend, {/Golden Girls} for helping me to overcome my self-exposure skittishness and self-defeating grudges, and for giving me some really great stuff to read, and to be inspired by.

I'll miss you when I'm gone!

I'll be back with my carrot story and other regularly scheduled programming, as well as lots of amusing photos of our journey, I'm sure, on Monday. Uncle Joe fancies himself quite the thespian, and also fancies enormous tatas, so he works at Dolly' Parton's Dixie Stampede, and we've got tickets! BWAH! They also got Andy and me (that sounds wrong, but it isn't!) tickets to the Rockettes' Christmas show, mostly so that they can have the kids all to themselves, but I expect to enjoy it immensely and to arrive back home full to burstin' with many amusing anecdotes. Hell, I'd pay for tickets just to observe the audience members at these events! AH, CULTURE! Gotta love it.

Anyhoo... It's Thanksgiving, one of my most favorite food-related holidays! Let me take this time to say that I am thankful. I am a veritable cornucopia of gratitude. I feel thankful for many things, but especially, for you, internets.!!

Enjoy the eating! Don't throw your food!

TTFN!

5 Comments:

Blogger Tracy Lynn said...

Pal, we missed you, too. And as someone who completely understands the reasoning behind lying to one's diary, I have to say I am grateful for you, as well. Have fun soaking up the rural culture.

4:36 PM  
Blogger c said...

Thank you for writing "Andy and me" and not the dreaded "Andy and I". Because then I'd have to kill you.

And seeing how you love Thanksgiving so much, well, that would just be a crying shame, wouldn't it?

5:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And most people just like IN their diary, not TO their diary!

9:48 PM  
Blogger Rain said...

That was a touching story about your diary. I think I lied to mine too, maybe just exaggerated. We were starting early with writing fiction I guess.

Have fun.

10:12 AM  
Blogger yucaree said...

i couldn't help but almost spit out my lemonade when i read that you lied to your diary! ha ha ha! you must've been a sweet little girl to feel so guilty.

enjoy your thanksgiving vacation --i know i will 'cause it's my favorite real holiday too (my birthday doesn't count since it's not a "real" holiday).

we'll miss you too!

p.s. i have recently started helping ian use "i" and "me" correctly in sentences ... at least, i hope i'm teaching him correctly!

11:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home