Saturday, October 29, 2005

I know why Maya Angelou sings


I heard Maya Angelou on NPR the other day, and for the first time in my life, I wanted to be old.

If you look back to my very first post, I described the sort of person I most want to be: pointy, pencil-thin, sarcastic, remotely amused, above-it-all, aloof, and disdainful.

After hearing Maya radiate wisdom and compassion and warmth and love and wise-woman good humor, and after marvelling over the slow and easy, confident way she spoke, I have decided there is another option for the coolest way to be.

I want to be old and wise enough to just take for granted that every word I speak comes from experience, sympathy, knowledge, and deep affection for my fellow human beings.

I want to speak truth with a kind heart.

I think I'm growing up.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tracy Lynn said...

I've never understood why some people hate the idea of getting older.
With each year that passes, I get happier and happier.
Which is not to say that my younger years weren't vastly more exciting- they were. It just that exciting doesn't always equal happy, ya know?
And I've gotten a little smarter too...

4:06 AM  
Blogger grudge girl said...

You're so well-adjusted.

It's taken me this long to get it.

People are always stunned when I tell them how old I am, because I still sound, act, and, I'm pretty sure, look so much younger.

But now I get the benefits of aging. Gracefully.

However - one caveat - if I EVER sign up for a senior living community in, like, Boca Raton... just start the morphine drip and ease me out of my misery.

7:22 PM  
Anonymous Adolph said...

Thank you for the article, really useful data.
Mount Pearl homes for sale | universities in Virginia | hotels Newport RI

10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home