Monday, January 23, 2006

BA!

I took Charlotte to the pediatrician last week, and she is not even 20 lbs yet. She is apparently so tiny that she makes the doctor and his nurse break out into the giggles. Then, he apologetically tells me that if she continues at her current growth rate, she'll probably be only about 5'3 or so. He's telling me this, and I'm standing there all of 5'2. HELLO!

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE this guy, but DUDE. HELLO!! I'm glad she's teensy! Nothing wrong with teensy!

When the nurse asked me if she's using 3 words, I had to laugh, because... technically? No. But really? Oh yeah, and a lot more. It's just that she speaks in, like, baby binary. ALL IS "BA." "BA" IS ALL. THERE IS ONLY "BA."

So in baby binary there is the syllable "ba" and a shriek. And the various combinations of "ba" and shriek actually amount to an incredibly sophisticated vocabulary. Because, people, she has the syntax, and the vocal modulation, and the speech patterns of English non-binary speakers DOWN. She counts to three: "baaA? baaA? Baaaaa!" She happily waves bye bye: "Ba Ba!" She tells me she'd rather have apple juice than milk, please, and COLD this time, and could I please make Simon move so that she can better pull all the books off of the coffee table?: "Ba Ba baba BABABA! BABA! Baba ba baba ba BA bababa ba BA ba. BA."

Oh, and my name? You guessed it. Baba.

6 Comments:

Blogger Tracy Lynn said...

Well, you do LOOK like a Baba....

2:40 PM  
Blogger yucaree said...

she sounds incrediby articulate. if only more grown-ups were able to use vocal modulation to actually express themselves better. (by the way, thanks for my vocab word of the day: vocal modulation!)

p.s. ian calls my mom "baba" -- it's kiddy/baby speak for grandma in japanese, so maybe you'd want to steer charlotte towards "mama" instead.

4:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ganoush

6:40 PM  
Blogger grudge girl said...

Oh geez. I just remembered Spirited Away. ACK! I don't want to be Yubaba!

She DID call me mama that one time... and I've been wawa a couple of times during crying fits. I'll work on it!

4:41 AM  
Blogger grudge girl said...

anonymous: Bless you.

Heh.

4:41 AM  
Blogger c said...

"Baba" is cute. Better than "Mom".

*SOB!!!!!*

Ok, I'm ok now. In response to your comment on my place, YES WE WERE IN GERMANY IN 1999. How freaking odd is that?? We were also in Austria, France, Prague, and England at various times in 1999. We're going to have to get together someday and compare travel times/places.

7:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home