Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Whisper to a Scream

Why is there New Order on a Payless commercial?

Why is there Talk Talk and Soft Cell and Split Enz wafting through the aisles at Kroger?

When did MY 80s music become muzak?

I think I'd understand better if it were the lame 80s music that were being piped into elevators and on-hold systems. You know, main stream pop like Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam, and DeBarge, and Night Rider, and Survivor. Even the Thompson Twins. That's what most people were listening to in the 80s, right? And wouldn't the advertisers and marketing folks of today prefer to reach the widest possible audience? So wouldn't they want to play the bland, mass-airplay stuff that most people are familiar with?

Because I'd really like to go on believing that I was extremely special and arty in my taste in music in the 80s, thank you very much. I was the ONLY one at my school who listened to Modern English, and General Public, and English Beat, and Joy Division, and Bow Wow Wow, and Ultravox, and Icicle Works, and OMD. I totally WAS! Probably one of the very few in Indiana. Perhaps one of only a score or so in the Midwest. Right?

Right.

Stupid advertising/marketing morons.

3 Comments:

Blogger c said...

Me! Me, too! In Indiana, even!

I think that all those people who listened to that music went into advertising or PR or whatever the hell makes those commercials and stuff.

Either that, or there have been market studies done that show the people who have all the disposable income now are the ones who listened to that music then.

5:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe because those bands, having not sold the most albums, but also having spent the most money on hair gel, are most hard-up for cash and therefore first in line when the marketing firms ask who would like to prostitute their creativity for a couple pennies.

4:32 PM  
Blogger grudge girl said...

Oh my gosh. Honey! You're horrible.

Well, I won't let your cynical worldview bring me down, man.

Go blow dry your hair, there, black pot.


MISFIT: YAY! And there were two! Who was your fave?

I like your explanations much better, by the way. Hee!

8:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home