Monday, September 19, 2005

Words I Like to Spell & Say

falafel
cryptic
asinine
sycophant
subterfuge
schism
antidisestablishmentarianismist
onomotopoeia
jo
syzygy
synecdoche
banana
poop
noodle
poopnoodle (HA! Just kidding!)
punjab
obsequious
zeitgeist
hoi polloi
cartouche
erudite (One time, at an extremely drunk, loud grad school party, a classmate of mine who was kind of from the sticks, well-read but unable to completely escape her origins, was drunkenly shouting something to a group of us, and she kept saying this word I thought I was mishearing. So I shouted back, "What?" "Er-rude-ee-ut," was the shouted reply. "What?!" "Er-rude-ee-ut!!" It finally dawned. "Oh! You mean erudite!" I really was just glad to have figured out what she was trying to say. It took me a second to realize everyone around me was shifting uncomfortably, because they had known all along what she was trying to say, and were aware of her stickish background, and were trying to politely ignore her error. But I, tipsy and confused, just blurted it out and corrected her in the process. Heh. Well, she turned out to be pretty treacherous later anyway, so I'm glad if I embarrassed her. Long story, big grudge, later post. But, it was a pretty funny, ironic word for her to mess up on, don't you agree? So now I love to say it properly whenever possible.)
jalopy
finagle
happenstance
folderol
lickety split
ghastly
atrocious
serendipity
euonym - I like to spell and say this one exactly like Rebecca Sealfon, 1997 winner of the National Spelling Bee, and one of my personal heroes. If you didn't see this event on ESPN (?), and you've never heard the delightful Rebecca spell, you're seriously missing out. Knowing she was going to win (Poor Prem Trivedi. Yes, I'm such a nerd that I remember the name of the 2nd place finisher to this day), her victoriously screamed spelling of euonym, pausing after each shouted letter as though it were followed by a period, and her final superfast shriek of the complete word - coupled with her Molly Shannonesque arms in the air of triumph, was one of the all time greatest TV moments. EUONYM! E! U! O! N! Y! M!EUONYM!

Check out the following link, click on Articles, and then scroll down to the link labeled "A Video Clip of Rebecca in Action."

http://www.grrl.com/spellinggrrl.html

Priceless, I tell you. Priceless. Rebecca Rulz. Oops. I mean Rules.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi. I, too, am semi-obsessed with the 1997 National Spelling Bee. Check out this recent blurb on Prem Trivedi. I don't feel so bad for him now! He doesn't even mention the bee in his bio anymore~! http://www.iacfpa.org/p_news/nit/iacpa-archieve/2005/06/17/tow-wlp.html

9:36 PM  
Blogger lizzard lady said...

Cool! And I thought I was the only one who remembered Prem. I put a post about him on my blog. Here you go:
http://jedilizard.blogspot.com/2006/06/2nd-place-two-years-in-row-thats-gotta.html

Once again: cool!

9:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home