Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Molly Peacock. Soulmate.

As I wrote my syllabus for the poetry class I'll be teaching beginning tomorrow, I ran across the following Molly Peacock poems that seem appropriate for this site:

“How I Come to You”

Even a rock
has insides.
Smash one and see
how the shock

reveals the rough
dismantled gut
of a thing once dense.
Making the cut

into yourself,
maybe you hoped
for rock solid through.
That hope I hoped,

too. Dashed
on my rocks was my wish
of what I was. Angry,
dense and mulish,

I smashed myself
and found my heart
a cave, ready to be
lived in. A start,

veined, unmined.
This is how I come to you:
broken,
not what I knew.



“Anger Sweetened”

What we don’t forget is what we don’t say.
I mourn the leaps of anger covered
by quizzical looks, grasshoppers covered
by coagulating chocolate. Each word,
like a leggy thing that would have sprung away,
we caught and candified so it would stay
spindly and alarmed, poised in our presence,
dead, but in the shape of its old essence.
We must eat them now. We must eat the words
we should have let go but preserved, thinking
to hide them. They were as small as insects blinking
in our hands, but now they are stiff and shirred
with sweet to twice their size, so what we gagged
will gag us now that we are so enraged.


Peacock, Molly. Take Heart. New York: Vintage Books, 1989.


She just slays me.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Vergil said...

Wow, there's really much effective information above!
charelvoix

10:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home